So after SXSW and however much other stuff, I’d say I’m in a positive groove now even if I lost count of days. So I think I can call Operation KNITTING a full success. I’m happier now than I was before and able to push through problems with more reasonable reactions. I’m still not going back to politics – I’m going to treat it as recovery for an addiction and stay away.
As for my new blog-ish series, I’ve decided, as regards creativity, I’m going to teach myself how to actually metal scream and document my journey. I’ve looked up a few tutorials so far and overall I think progress shouldn’t be too slow. According to the tutorials my throat may be a little scratchy and sore for a week or two before my false cords get more used to it, much like how muscles you aren’t used to working out are sore for a bit until they get used to it. If after a week or two I practice and I still feel a bit raspy and tight that means I am doing something wrong and need to go back to the drawing board.
In the meantime, here’s some information about what I’m doing:
1. I’m training primarily “false cord” screaming and growling with some supplementary clean work if possible. This is mostly because false cording is the only variation of metal screaming I understand the mechanics of. I’ve looked up explanations of compression fry screaming – which is what several of my friends do – but I don’t understand the explanations of how to do it. It’s hard that you can’t see the throat, so the explanations of “just do x, y and z” make no sense to me. But that’s okay, since while I like the sound of both I feel like a lot of what I like is also false cord – traditional death metal stuff.
2. I’m drinking a lot of lukewarm/room temperature water. Supposedly this helps to recover after practicing. I also plan to buy some honey and tea in the near future since that also helps the throat.
I figure I’ll try to do four full songs a day for a while on top of the practice noises I’ll be doing (more on those tomorrow, maybe?) and share them here if there’s a legal way to view them. In this case all four practice songs were from Vanna, off of their label’s official youtube channel. Feel free to give them a listen because they’re good anyway.
1. Fuel – Metallica Cover off of Vanna’s ALT album (I failed this one, tonal distortion escapes me almost as much as Fry screaming)
2. Digging – one of my favorite songs, from Vanna’s album VOID.
3. The Beautiful People – Marilyn Manson Cover off their ALT album
4. Bienvenue – also off of VOID
Hope you enjoy the songs and wish me luck!